The Software Engineer will be responsible for design, development and support of the API Layer for SXM streaming enterprise system. She/he will report directly to the Director, Software Development.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the Tech Lead and Senior Systems Architect to ensure that strategic objectives are met with the proposed architectural solutions for business needs.
- Code all core services and applications in various Java technologies (mentioned in the Technical Skills) following industry standards.
- Participate in technical design and architecture working closely with the Tech Lead, Streaming Media Services.
- Document all technical design, code, build and release procedures.
- Work directly with Development, QA and IT Ops on all phases of SDLC.
- Handle 3rd tier support, where business consultation and development maybe required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or equivalent, relevant experience.
- 2+ years of experience with Java application development life cycle.
Requirements and General Skills:
- Knowledge of industry-standard application architectures, design patterns and technology standards and best practices.
- Experience in designing and developing highly scalable, highly available and maintainable internet applications.
- Good understanding of cloud based applications and application deployment.
- Ability to learn and stay up to date on new technologies and trends.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and reliably deliver work of the highest standards on time.
- Robust understanding of Object Oriented Programming concepts and design.
- Extensive knowledge of Java-based front-end and back-end web development technologies and concepts.
- Strong design and implementation skills pertaining to web applications, enterprise system design and rich media applications.
- Good public speaking and presentation skills.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to interact and work with staff at all levels.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to pay attention to details and be organized.
- Ability to project professionalism over the phone and in person.
- Commitment to "internal client" and customer service principles.
- Willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects.
- Spelling, grammar, proofreading and editing skills.
- Creative writing ability.
- Excellent time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi-task, and work under shifting deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Must have legal right to work in the U.S.
- Hands-on experience with application development using core Java, Spring framework, functional programing.
- Understanding of multiple threading, concurrency, design patterns and their impacts on application concurrency and scalability.
- Knowledge of web services, RESTful interfaces, XML.
- Experience with XML schemata and documents, validation, parsing, and marshalling.
- Experience with Linux and Tomcat servers.
- Experience working with NoSQL DB or RDBMS.
- Experience with maven, Github, and issue tracking tools (JIRA a plus).
- Akamai Live Streaming, CDN, and EdgeComputing platforms experience preferred.