Job Summary (Overview)
The Office of Institutional Engagement at RISD is pleased to announce an opening for a Senior Major Giving Officer. We are seeking an energetic, entrepreneurial and experienced fundraising professional to join our ambitious and dynamic team. The successful candidate will welcome the challenge of working with our highest capacity donors to advance RISD’s mission, and will be able to confidently articulate the need for art and design education in today’s world.
With an appreciation for art and design, the Senior Major Giving Officer uses advanced relationship building skills to identify, cultivate, solicit and steward new and existing donors, alumni, parents, and friends who have the capacity to make significant gifts to RISD.
RISD is one of the world’s leading institutions of art and design education and The Office of Institutional Engagement is tasked with helping to maintain and grow that global reputation for excellence and innovation.
1. Responsible for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of key prospects through visiting and other means. Tasked with overseeing and/or personally executing solicitation and closing of gifts both annual and capital.
2. Manage and maintain a portfolio of major giving prospects typically at the $100,000+ level.
3. Develops and executes prospect strategies. Facilitates interaction between key alumni and faculty members; strategizes and coordinates closely with Institutional Engagement team colleagues and other campus departments. Will help to support the School’s shared priorities by increasing RISD’s current level of financial support.
4. Coordinate and execute cultivation programs to build and maintain long-standing relationships to RISD. As needed, tasks may include event program development and/or fundraising volunteer committee management.
5. Assist in maintenance of donor records; rate prospects according to potential; and record individual meetings with donors on computer system and files. Prepare correspondence for donors as a follow-up to personal visits and provide gift proposals to major giving prospects.
Job Qualifications Required
Bachelor’s degree is required.
At least five years successful fundraising experience including a successful record of six and seven figure major gift solicitations is required. An equivalent combination of experience and education is acceptable.
Ability to articulate interest in and passion for contemporary art and design and to use superior networking skills to foster and advance relationships with key donors.
Must have excellent computer skills, writing and editing skills, attention to detail and ability to work effectively under the pressures of deadlines and with limited supervision.
Must be articulate and have excellent communication skills including poise and confidence required for working with potentially large benefactors to RISD.
Demonstrated ability to build and work collaboratively with both external and internal relationships with multiple diverse populations and to manage various demands and requests.
Job Qualifications Preferred
Master’s degree is preferred.
Knowledge and experience in planned giving is also preferred.
Fundraising experience in an educational or arts institution is preferred.
The successful candidate will be required to meet our pre-employment background screening requirements.