1. Provide practical, business-savvy litigation support with respect to a wide range of commercial disputes and litigation matters affecting Johnson Controls’ various business units.
2. Work with the legal Business Partners and the legal Commercial Transactions Team to investigate, evaluate and effectively counter threatened or pending litigation and disputes. The role requires close coordination and collaboration with Johnson Controls’ outside counsel, technical experts, insurers and related third parties.
3. Create and deploy litigation and dispute resolution management processes and related tools, including early case assessment and budgeting discipline, to drive consistent management and reporting of litigation across North America.
4. Develop strategy and budgets for efficient and effective matter handling and resolution.
5. Drive adoption of best practices and processes for litigation management and dispute resolution.
6. Assist with selection and management of outside legal service providers, including spend discipline.
7. Coordinate with other key stakeholders, such as Compliance and Risk Management and Business Partners.
8. Prepare litigation reports.
9. Propose, develop and monitor preventive law and compliance programs to reduce Johnson Controls’ exposure to legal risk.
• JDDegree; must be a member of a U.S. state bar.
• Minimum 10 years of related litigation experience in a major law firm, a publicly held-multi-national corporation, or both.
• Experience with construction litigation required
• Experience in class actions, environmental and construction litigation, as well as dispute resolution are required
• Product liability litigation experience and litigation experience outside the U.S., a plus.
• Experience managing outside counsel.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Ability to make solid judgment calls under pressure.
• Strong team management and leadership skills.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with others in a matrix management structure.
• Ability to drive process changes, resource efficiencies and change management in the provision of legal services.
• Exceptional and demonstrated project management skills.
• Ability to build positive relationships with senior management and other members of the legal team and to influence outcomes positively.
Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the candidate. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilitiesrequired of the candidate. The candidate may be required to perform other related duties.