Research Associate - Stable Isotope - Resolved Metabolomics
Less than 5 years experience • Misc. Healthcare
PURPOSE OF POSITION:To conduct independent and directed scientific studies and research in support of a Principal Investigator's research for a Medical Center.
The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine at the Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center is seeking a qualified person with experience in the area of steady state cellular based metabolomics, as well as metabolomics studies of human disease. Stable Isotope-Resolved Metabolomics (SIRM) technologies are being applied in the NMR-Based Metabolomics Core under the direction of Dr. Romick-Rosendale to support ongoing one-dimensional NMR metabolomics experiments and further expand our understanding of the relationship between metabolic pathways and disease. The candidate would join a team that has a strong background in both steady state cellular based metabolomics, as well as metabolomics studies of human disease, with the goal to establish the SIRM techniques within the core laboratory, as well as expand upon our current data analysis capabilities. The team in place has the strategic, informatic, clinical, and technical expertise to provide strong support for the candidate. Training in NMR-basedmetabolomics studies with specific emphasis on stable isotope-resolved metabolomics procedures is strongly preferred.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Conduct Research: Design, execute and record laboratory experiments; apply standard scientific/research protocols to experiments, research and improve current methods and evaluate innovative techniques. Design and perform experiments and record data according to research protocol. Independently reproduce, evaluate, research and improve techniques currently used. Adapt new methods to existing procedures and modify current experiments through scientific knowledge and intuition. Maintain accurate and detailed records of all laboratory work and experiments. Develop, set-up and verify new procedures in the laboratory. Standardize and establish new published procedures; evaluate innovative techniques. Develop new assays and new protocols; design formats. Discuss relevant insights about experimental results with Director and provide useful recommendations and analysis. Troubleshoot and correct erroneous results or problems with laboratory equipment. Maintain and repair equipment; monitor proper use by personnel. Maintain optimal protocol and assay accuracy by conducting regular quality and reproducibility checks. Demonstrate performance at work, consistency incarrying out instructions, accuracy & attention to detail, achieving expected results & continuous improvement.
• Publish: Draft, write and edit scientific reports, papers, journal articles and abstracts. Present at local, national and international scientific meetings.
• Teamwork: Train and supervise the work of other laboratory personnel as appropriate. Maintain an integral role in thelaboratory's meetings, presentations and publications. Present information on research and laboratory work to others atlaboratory meetings, journal clubs and seminars. Demonstrate attendance and punctuality, ability to work independently & display initiative and dedication
• Financial Management: Assist in preparing, writing and maintaining fiscal budget. Monitor expenditures and prepare capital expenditure requests. Prepare, approve and initiate check requests; track funding, maintain accurate balance and resolve any discrepancies.
• Leadership: May act as a mentor to more junior staff, serve as the contact for resolution of complex issues, provide education, guidance and work direction. May provide input and feedback to managers on hiring decisions, professional development and performance management.
• Ph.D., M.D or equivalent degree in related discipline.
• 3 years of related postdoctoral experience
The position requires a PhD in an analytical science and ideally 3 years laboratory experience in the area of NMR-based metabolomics. Candidates who have demonstrated scholarly productivity by discovery and publication will also be preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS:Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. Demonstrate attention to detail, strong organizational skills, supervisory ability and an innovative approach to experimental design. Computer literate and workingknowledge of software applications (word processing, presentation, spreadsheet and database software). Analytical ability sufficient to compare data; mathematical ability sufficient to perform algebraic calculations and statistical analyses. Ability to synthesize information and to create and deal with new situations by applying past experiences. Expressed willingness to teach others and share results. Capable of meeting time demands necessary to execute experiments. Ability to express results in the form of oral and written presentations suitable for submission to the peer-reviewed literature. Careful bookkeeping skills. Expertise in technical execution and precision measurements. Presentation ofexperimental results in a form suitable for extramural funding applications.