Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around theworld, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways.
Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.We are currently seeking an experienced manager to lead and grow a team of engineers working to determine and execute an optimal strategy to bring our advanced optical systems from research to production. This is a full-time position and requires masterslevel degree in optical engineering, physics, or similar, combined with significant experience in developing and implementing complex manufacturing solutions. Successful candidates must be comfortable working in a dynamic cross-functional team and exhibit excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Own the migration from R&D lab to production for various complex optical systems, in addition to owning the process optimization required to achieve this.
- Develop appropriate strategies to manufacture a range of novel and complex optical systems.
- -In some cases, work with appropriate partners/CMs to develop the production capability.
- -In other cases, design and build the in-house production capability.
- Own the end-to-end production system development cycle for these systems (schedule, budget, resource planning, support planning and execution).
- Work with and in parallel with the research teams/Research Manager to align theproduction strategy with the research design space and needs, and to move thetechnologies developed in the lab into product.
- Build the engineering capabilities, methodologies and processes for the design, development, debugging, and testing of production processes.
- Collaborate across multiple internal teams (including research, program managers, system engineers, product managers, and manufacturing) on the definition and execution ofproduction capability and ramp-up roadmaps.
- Build and manage the team (process optimization and production engineers) to deliver onthe above in addition to inspiring and coaching the team.
- 5+ years' experience in research and development of optics, materials science, or photonic systems.
- 5+ years' experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Leadership and management, critical thinking, team collaboration and influencing experience.
- Demonstrated track record in taking product from technology to production.
- Demonstrated track record in process optimization and in building a team and scaling an organization.
- Experience with optical manufacturing and/or semiconductor fabs, tools and vendors.
- Experience in materials characterization, optical manufacturing processes, quality and reliability, product testing, product quality, driving root cause/corrective actions, Design of Experiments (DOE) and statistical analysis for optimizing process.
- MS or PhD in a relevant field.
- E2E product development experience with successful high-volume product launches.
- Experience with best practice of New Product Introduction (NPI), six sigma and lean manufacturing.
- Excellent communication skills to align with development, operations and partner teams.
- Passion for scaling and shipping consumer products.