With more than 150 years of industry leadership and global recognition, HarbisonWalker International (HWI) is the largest supplier of refractory products and services in the United States. Headquartered in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the company’s international network spans North America, Europe, and Asia, with 20 manufacturing plants, 30 global sourcing centers, and technology facilities in both the United States and China. Serving virtually every major industry that requires refractory solutions to enhance production and protect assets, HWI is consistently recognized for its talented experts, industry firsts, and intensely driven excellence.
HarbisonWalker International is looking for an experienced Operations Manager to fill a key leadership role at our new South Point, OH plant. The new facility will be one of the most technologically advanced monolithic refractories built in the U.S. and will be operational by early 2018.
The Operations Manager is responsible for the daily production and maintenance functions of plant operations. This includes the maintenance of equipment, creating and maintaining training programs for employees including Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s), managing the daily work flow and implementing maintenance programs, and insuring adequate spare parts levels are maintained.
- Supervising production technicians, maintenance technicians and production team leaders to ensure that machines and people meet daily goals for safety, quality and production; Driving the optimization of production throughput/outputs and product quality
- Driving continuous improvement initiatives and projects through application of lean6 Sigma, building and sustaining a strong foundation: 5S, problem Solving, KPI, visual Management, Managerial Practice, coordinating root cause investigations of production incidents and operational failures to identify mitigations, resolutions, and responses in a timely manner.
- Developing and sustaining maintenance systems applying TPM principle and ensuring maintenance tasks (planned, PM and unplanned) are performed promptly and on-time
- Leading, developing, coaching and evaluating Operations Team; working with management peers help develop and maintain a positive work environment for all employees.
- Reporting out on key performance indicators (KPIs) and implementing actions to continuously improve them (OEE, Productivity, Quality, Adherence to Plan) Delivering targeted costs and propose plan to optimize both variable and direct costs
Education / Skills
Requires B.S. in Engineering, preferably Chemical or Mechanical, or Operations Management or substantial equivalent experience
Requires organizational and maintenance skills.
Thrive in a KPI / performance driven culture
Strong team player with the ability to teach others (coaching) and communicate effectively with all levels of the organization
Ten (10) years’ experience in Batch manufacturing, high SKU, low volume, supplying a distributionnetwork
Requires five (5) to seven (7) years of multiple shift production management experience including operations, service, maintenance and management functions.
Practical experience implementing and sustaining Operational Excellence Programs: Lean Manufacturing, 6 Sigma, TPM
Strong technical background and experience in implementing maintenance system
Previous Experience in New equipment start up and factory scale up