• Responsible for giving directions to the editorial team.
• Responsible for newscast format, on-air look, and execution of daily newscasts.
• Provides supervision and instruction to reporters, producers, and associate producers. Contributes constructive and helpful criticism.
• Responsible for executing all aspects of the on-air presentation of content for all shows.
• Produces live and taped broadcasts from conception to air, including planning, writing, copy-editing, pre-broadcast coordination, rehearsal, and on-air timing.
• Reviews copy for errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Reviews content for style, and agreement with editorial policy.
• Coordinates with directors, creative services, and promotions department to execute station sponsorships.
• Produces and writes materials for target audiences integrating multi-media platforms.
• Monitors the station’s coverage of breaking news and the competition’s coverage.
• Evaluates performance appraisal process in conjunction with the Assistant News Director and VP of Content.
• Oversees daily story assignments and performs other duties as assigned.
• 5+ years experience as news manager in a mid size to large size newsroom
• Solid managerial skills and sound experience in the field are needed for this job.
• Bi-lingual (English/Spanish) required both written and verbal. Skilled or master use of the Spanish language.
• Good collaborative and interpersonal skills to communicate at all levels.
• Proven ability to multi-task and work well under pressure and have the ability to train, coach, and motivate staff members
• Advanced oral and written communication skills.
• An experience of working with the latest newsroom tools.
• A degree in journalism or a closely related field is required.
• Have highly developed digital skill sets with experience to operate on different media platforms.
• Have strong news judgment with knowledge of legal and ethical issues in multi-media platforms.
• Ability to help set policies.
• Willingness and ability to work long hours, late nights and weekends as required. Good attendance and ability to avoid tardiness is crucial.