The Global Manager (Litigation) serves as one of the senior leaders of the firm’s Client Value Team (CVT). Under the supervision of the Global Director, the GM leads a group of Managers and Analysts in delivering the full spectrum of Client Value services to the firm’s Litigation Department:
·Fee Arrangements: a core function of the CVT is the pricing of legal services. The incumbentwill have advanced knowledge of law firm pricing strategies, including AFA modeling and value-based arrangements. The incumbent will work with the team’s Pricing Managersto ensure Litigation group members have the requisite pricing skills.
·Fee Management: a core function of the CVT is assisting lawyers and clients with legalproject management. The incumbent will have advanced legal project managementskills and the proper rigor to apply to a given legal matter to ensure best results. Theincumbent will serve as the Litigation group’s LPM mentor.
·Value Communication: a critical component of pricing and project management is communicating the value of these activities. The incumbent will have experience assistingattorneys (ideally litigators) with understanding the importance of pricing and projectmanagement, and with presenting value propositions and value-added services to external contacts.
In collaboration with the Litigation Department Chair, the incumbent will oversee department-wide, exemplary client service through advanced matter management and client management. The GM is expected to understand the firm’s business goals and support lawyers in value-added services toclients. This includes analyzing financial data, creating Excel-based financial reports, utilizing projectmanagement methodologies and tools, and building client communication tools (such as dashboards).
The ideal candidate will be able to take a global view with regard to the CVT’s service to thefirm as a whole.
The candidate must be comfortable working with--and leading--teams of partners, associates and other legal personnel. The incumbent must possess excellent mentoring abilities.
Additionally, the candidate must be adept at navigating complex, high-pressure environments.
The candidate will also interact directly with clients, maintaining and fostering positive relations while working on administrative and legal matters.
- Provide global leadership to Client Value Team, including strategies to drive efficiency and profitability
- Lead the CVT Litigation group and provide mentorship to group members
- Develop a keen understanding of law firm profitability metrics and key performance indicators--and how they interrelate--and demonstrate the ability to discuss those metrics with firm attorneys and clients
- Make recommendations to attorney teams on how to improve client and matter profitability metrics
- Assist legal teams in defining and documenting project scope, goals and deliverables thatsupport business needs of both the Firm and our clients
- Compare matter progress to budget and convey status to firm attorneys and clients
- Assist with the development of large-scale budget and matter work plans and configure our current matter management system to underpin the execution of the plans
- Estimate the resources and participants (staffing) needed to achieve project goals and provide input in the budget-creation and matter work plan-creation process
- Consult on the use of pricing methods and billing arrangements as needed
- Consult on the use of alternative staffing approaches and automation where needed
- Effectively communicate project expectations and status to firm attorneys and clients in a timely and clear fashion
- Manage multiple projects concurrently, juggling priorities, deadlines and essential projectmanagement duties for each respective project
- Create and complete internal and external “after action reports” to facilitate the continuousimprovement of the execution of our legal project management program and legal workat large
- Travel to client locations and other Reed Smith offices, as needed
- Partner with the Firm’s Knowledge Management, Client Intelligence and Business Development groups to execute strategy and achieve program success
- Conduct training on project management, process improvement, profitability and value services at the department level and to external contacts
- Negotiate rate and fee agreements with clients and prepare partners for similar discussions
Education: Required: Undergraduate or MBA degree in finance or a related business field, JurisDoctor, or equivalent work experience. Advanced degree or Certification a plus. Willingness toobtain project management or legal project management certification a plus.
Experience: Minimum eight years of work experience in legal, consulting or financial industry.
Computer proficient with advanced skills in Microsoft Excel are required; MS Visio and MSProject are a plus.Must be able to learn, understand and apply finance skills and new technologies.Strong written and oral communication skills.Excellent interpersonal skills.Ability to quickly and effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure team –based environment is crucial.Ability to respond appropriately to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.Ability to read communication styles of team members and clients who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.Willingness to work remotely with the Global Team and maintain seamless