As our Footwear Material Developer II, you’ll use your materials knowledge and collaborative skills tohelp create and execute a materials palette and be responsible for the on-time commercialization ofresources. You will also be responsible for more complex products and projects as requested by theMaterials Leadership team. You'll also collaborate with our Material design teams to create and execute a seasonal category materials palette that support business goals and meet consumer's needs. You'll execute materials that fall between seasonal developments and the longer-term projects as well as commercialize key innovations.. You'll also research fabric trend and new innovations offered. In addition, you'll drive analysis and material reviews that result in gender/category materials consolidation.
Example of types of activities:
• Collaborate with category Material Designer in seasonal category creative direction decisions and meetings. Enable creative objectives through operational activities including vendor validation and material article validation. Drive and enable new material development.
• Provide technical assistance to category product creation teams (primarily Development, Design, and Product Management) as it relates to the application of footwear upper materials.
• Assist categories with application of materials. Provide a perspective across multiple material types (leather, synthetics, and textiles) with an understanding of colorfastness, bonding, abrasion and other performance related mechanical material issues.
• Collaborate with Material Ops Managers and Raw Materials Sourcing to manage capacity on key volume and / or innovation materials.
• Create and manage category material palettes.
• Serve as primary category contact for material suppliers as it relates to category specific issues (price, technical specs, performance).
• Create and maintain material development tools.
• Collaborate with Material Developers across other categories.
*Multiple positions will be available*
- Bachelor's degree in Textiles or equivalent
- 2 years' experience may be substituted for a degree
- 5 - 7 years' relevant experience, which may include footwear industry experience or materials development
- Strong understanding of textile formation, yarn, fiber, dying, printing and finishing
- Knowledge of material types knits, woven’s & non woven’s
- Basic working knowledge of MS Office applications
- Able to anticipate needs, solve problems, perform research and analyze results
- Attention to detail and the ability to handle multiple priorities
- Able to negotiate and influence with sensitivity for the creative process
- Able to be assertive, self-motivated and work in a team environment
- Sensitivity to different cultures, customs and business practices
- Apparel design and development process knowledge is strongly preferred
- Lab testing and global material experience is a plus
- Experience with 3rd party/vendor engagement, materials or related development projects is preferred
- Understanding of manufacturing realities and constraints preferred
- Ability to interpret design intent and offer alternative solutions preferred
- Ability to travel up to 20% of the time
Job ID SRC07192017FWMATDEV2