Engineer Scientist II - PDU Cyber Security
Supports research efforts in cyber security for the electric sector. Performs complex engineering/scientific analysis demonstrating creativity and ingenuity in providing technical solutions and meeting project goals. Works independently and under moderate direction and supervision to resolve technical and logistical issues associated with the development of cyber security technology. Collaborates with EPRI staff, moderate interaction with utility members, and equipment manufacturers to execute project plans and develop project deliverables.
• Conducts technical searches and analyzes information in support of the project team.
• May conduct independent research at the direction of the project manager.
• Assists Project/Program managers in assessing customer needs, formulating technical approaches, preparing proposals, technical publications/papers, and making presentations
• Conducts research and analyzes technical information in support of the cyber security project team. Topics of research may include incident response, threat management, security metrics, security architecture, and security compliance.
• Provides technical advice and counsel to other professionals within EPRI.
• Reviews progress and evaluates results. Makes changes in methods, design or equipment where necessary.
• Exercises latitude in determining technical assignment objectives.
Education Level and Years of Experience:
• Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field or equivalent experience required.
• BS degree in EE, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Cyber Security, Telecommunications, or similar discipline preferred.
• Must have satisfied requirements of entry level engineer/scientist and have 2-3 years of engineeringexperience or comparable work/educational experiencerequired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Intermediate verbal and written communication skills
• Present research externally
• Understand how work fits across technical area
• Requires supervision and guidance to conduct specific research tasks and complete projects
• Works closely with contractors or staff to complete project research
• May participate in multiple projects
• Individual contributor
The Ideal Candidate:
• One to three years’ experience supporting cyber security projects.
• Knowledge of cyber security fundamentals.
• Knowledge of standard networking protocols.
• Ability to acquire and develop cyber security expertise for electric sector technologies.
• Experience with threat management and incident response technology is preferred but not required
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Outstanding problem solving and analytical skills are required.
• Ability to convey technical results effectively to other staff and to clients/members.