Engineer III, Facilities
5 - 7 years experience • Telecommunications
Engineer III, Facilities - (17000303)
*This is a Term position, expected to last approximately 1 year
Engineer III, Facilities is responsible for the rapid, accurate, informative and hands on useful information about the safe installation of AC and DC power systems, Power distribution and battery backup, Central Office Engineering and Installation Standards, Cabling systems and materials for RF, Telecom, and Ethernet systems, HVAC, Generator, Grounding, efficient Space Utilization, and Facility infrastructure consisting of Cable tray, Rack, Auxiliary support iron work, earthquake bracing.
Position’s Customer(s): All of the GCI’s business units, subsidiaries, management.
Essential Duties of All Levels in the Position:
· Participates in the implementation of new installations, upgrades, and/or changes to existing company facilities.
· Reviews and finalizes detailed cost estimates, designs, material lists, installation packages, and test and maintenance procedures.
· Designs and specifies installation methods.
· Provide engineering technical support, troubleshooting and repair recommendations
· Provides cost control and cost savings.
· Mentors junior engineers and stay current with developing technology
Job Qualifications of All Levels in the Position:
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Progressive experience in the installation of Central Office systems. Knowledge of typical industry standard documentation and design criteria.
• Knowledge of the Bell Core/Telcordia, IEEE, and NEBS compliance standards, building codes, fire codes, and telephony power system standards.
• Possess a basic working knowledge of electrical/electronic systems so that detailed technical problems are dealt with in a logical manner.
• Possess engineering analytical skills for calculating, evaluating, comparing, interpreting, and organizing telecommunication infrastructure and system installation projects to design and build highly reliable facilities infrastructure.
• Hands on Central Office installation experience for Central Office, Transport, Internet, Microwave, Cellular, Satellite, LAN/WAN, Switch, and customer premise equipment required.
• Knowledge of the following facilities and equipment: satellite earth stations including Microwave and VSAT, Central Office infrastructure and support equipment, Central Office Transport, Power and Grounding equipment, DACS systems, fiber-optic SONET systems, high-speed distributed data network equipment and installation.
• Knowledge of the proper use of trade hand and power tools.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Personal computer skills including Microsoft Office applications, Visio, and Acrobat
Certifications: Industry specific certifications highly valued and can contribute toward education.
Additional Job Requirements: This is a senior level engineering position requiring the performance of highly complex and diverse duties under deadlines and operating constraints. Requires independent engineering decisions making and the ability to provide detailed technical direction to others. The position requires the engineer, to review and provide final engineering design specifications and service requirements. The position requires the engineer, to function in the role of Project Engineer for large projects including coordinating, directing, assisting and providing technical direction to junior engineers and supporting technicians. The position requires the engineer, to actively participate in the implementation of new installations and upgrades or changes to existing facilities by reviewing, editing, and creating Installation packages, performing pre-installation site surveys, documenting new and existing installations, performing installation package quality assurance standards adherence.
Essential Duties for this position:
• Prepares detailed cost estimates, designs, material lists, installation packages, and test and maintenance procedures resulting in completely documented facilities based on industry standards. Designs and Specifies installation methods, materials, and layouts for cable racks, Cable tray runways, lighting, floor and rack layout, DSX, Signal interconnect, M&C equipment, MDF frame planning, HVAC, Backup battery, Back up generator, UPS, Inverter, AC and DC power systems and distribution, for various local and geographically remote telecommunications Central Office, Internet, Microwave, Cellular, Satellite, Transport, LAN/WAN, Switch, and customer premise facilities, including commercial building power distributions and central office grounding systems.
• Provides Installation engineering technical support to engineering, installation, and operations personnel, including troubleshooting and repair recommendations.
• Produces estimates of installation labor time and materials, co-ordination of materials and supplies, ordering, and site installation support.
• Maintains the Installation Package Status Database, and assists the project engineers in defining requirements to complete the installation documentation package, ensuring this information is available for, and followed by, installation personnel. Maintains site specific information on space and infrastructure.
• Assists with the development and creation of company-wide installation standards, techniques, and equipment specifications. Providing and Implementing cost control and cost savings, adherence to schedule and budget balanced by maintenance of highly reliable installations.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
The senior facilities engineer must have advanced knowledge of all aspects of telephony power and power distribution systems for central offices, customer premises, wire centers, and remote village earth stations. The facility engineer shall remain current on technical advances in the field of telephony central office equipment installation engineering, and DC and AC power systems.
• Minimum of six years’ experience for the degreed engineer or as a Telecommunications Technician, Field Engineer, Project Manager or related background with demonstration of a comprehensive understanding of telecommunications operations and functions.
• Experience in telecommunications Central Office design and installation, quality assurance, and standards concepts required.
• Professional Engineering License may substitute for the minimum years of experience.
• High School diploma or equivalent required.
• Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Telecommunications or related field is required.
• In addition to minimum experience required, a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.