Engineer I, Network
Purpose of the Engineer I, Network Position: Supports multiple sub-groups within the GCI Business Department; responsible for architectural design, development, implementation, and support within the company and/or between business departments that follow telecommunication industry standards using engineering principles.
*Focus will be Engineer duties, to include: Circuit Design, Videoconferencing, IP Video, Systems, Systems & Security, Projects, and/or Operations
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Ensures the integrity of high availability network infrastructure in order to provide maximum performance in design, implementation, and support.
- Defines, designs, and implements network and/or system facilities utilizing standard engineering concepts of availability, efficiency, redundancy, scalability, and security.
- Designs and implements new solutions and continues improvement of the current network and/or systems facilities.
- Maximizes performance through the use of network monitoring tools, troubleshooting network and/or system outages, scheduling updates, and collaborating with architects on optimization.
- Maintains professional skillset by participating in educational opportunities, technical organizations, reading professional publications, and personal use of technology.
- Provides detailed reports on network operational status, and milestones related to project completion.
- Configures firewalls, routers, switches, voice, and video hardware in support of network operations and projects.
- Capable of remote site support for off-site personnel and customers.
- Audits, forecasts, and manages capacity of IP addressing, bandwidth forecasting, hardware, software licensing, and hosted devices.
- Coordinates with project management and engineering teams on a regular basis.
- Supports and manages escalation events s.
- Develops and updates documentation and support materials.
- Mentors junior engineers and technicians.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard network engineering concepts.
- Demonstrated knowledge of firewalls, routers, switches, voice and/or video hardware, network applications and related technologies.
- Experienced in diagnosis of Layer-2 and Layer-3 data network problems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of IP address nomenclature, protocols and routing.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to create and edit network drawings.
- Ability to provide training to team members on technology.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, professionally.
Minimum of one year of experience in the relevant field.
Experience within a telecommunications industry preferred.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Technologies, Electrical Engineering, or related field is required.
- Or, a combination of relevant education and/or work experience sufficient to perform the duties of the job may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- Additional experience as a network engineer or alternate industry, specific certifications may contribute toward education requirement.
Certifications: Industry specific certifications are highly valued and may contribute toward education required.
Associate level: CCENT, CCT, CCNA, CCDA, JNCIA
Professional level: CCDP, CCNP/advanced level, expertise with networking and skills
Additional Examples/types of certifications: