Developing Business Development Plan
- Develops annual business development plan for target market sectors that meet the overall business goals and updates the plan on a regular basis to reflect progress and market changes.
- Works with senior management to integrate plan as part of the Division’s Business Plan.
- Understands the generic strengths and vulnerabilities of major competitors and develops sales strategies to respond effectively.
Prospecting to Generate Leads
- Establishes initial contact at owner level in potential customer organizations and takes ownership of interaction with prospects to identify expectations/needs and project opportunities.
- Establishes and expands relationships within the target market sectors in order to stay up to date on trends and be informed of opportunities prior to becoming public knowledge, and strategically position McCarthy for responding to RFQs/RFPs.
- Participates in trade shows and other client-related events (e.g., golf tournaments, etc.).
- Coordinates with otherinternal leaders (Division President or BUL, VP of BD, VP Operations, Project Directors, VP Preconstruction) for market interface opportunities when appropriate.
- Utilizes databases (e.g., Vision) to record sales contacts and opportunities and to obtain and retain project and company information for inclusion in marketing and proposal products.
Leveraging and Teaming within McCarthy
- Collaborates with other groups within company to implement appropriate strategies to address business opportunities and overcome obstacles.
- Ensures that Division leadership team is involved within appropriate opportunities at pivotal points and is aware of significant developments.
- Communicates regularly with the pursuit team to ensure that they are informed on significant developments and customer issues.
- Fully participates in Business Development department meetings to share best practice, review performance against targets, and conduct informal training.
Managing and Forecasting Sales Pipeline
- Qualifies potential opportunities early in the sales cycle and manage the pipeline in his/her market sectors to ensure that opportunities are pursued in a timely way, across various stages of the sales cycle and that sales expectations are met.
- Updates lead/contact management system to track progress.
- Ensures that realistic sales forecasts are provided to Division Leadership and that they are kept aware of any significant changes or developments.
- Reviews opportunities with manager to determine priority and decision on pursuit