OverviewBoeing Vancouver Labs is the Rapid Development and Data Science arm of Boeing Vancouver located in beautiful, vibrant Yaletown. The Labs environment is fast-paced, highly collaborative, dynamic and vibrant, leveraging Agile methodologies and cutting-edge tools. With passion, dedication, and teamwork, we build data analytics-driven software solutions to maximize efficiencies of today’s aviation business and create the digital aviation technology of tomorrow.
Rapid Development at Boeing Vancouver Labs is looking for a motivated and hands-on Development Lead (Software Engineer 4). You will bring your expertise and experience in building software to help us lead a team to help us deliver high quality, performant MVP software quickly and efficiently. You will help us define engineering best practices that help to allow teams to move quickly while still maintaining a high standard of quality.
- Are passionate about software
- Have a deep understanding of the Agile mindset
- Have a proven track record in leading teams and delivering software
- Are able to work well both independently, with little guidance as well as in a collaborative team environment
- Are not afraid to ask questions and challenge the status-quo
- Strongly desire to learn new things, think out-of-the-box, and apply critical thinking to solve real customer problems
- Have a strong sense of ownership and pride in the tools and systems that you build
- Strongly desire to share knowledge with the team
- Have strong communication skills, both written and verbal, and are able to effectively communicate complex ideas in a succinct and comprehensible fashion to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Have a positive attitude, able to work in a fast-paced and constantly changing environment
- Thrive in a culture of collaboration and relentless improvement
- You will be responsible for providing technical and team leadership in the delivery of MVP fullstack software. More specifically:
- Work closely with other technical leadership to design and architect modern fullstack software systems
- Work closely with the business and software engineers on issues related to design and requirements
- Implement complex, business critical components of the system
- Ensure that development standards, policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Drive change to implement efficient and effective strategies that align with Boeing strategies
- Develop and implement development standards and procedures to aid in the development of high quality software. Ensure that all Engineers within the team understand and follow existing standards.
- Work closely with other team leads and development teams to integrate systems
- Work closely with business focals to fully understand business processes and requirements.
- Gain enough business knowledge to be able to actively participate in specifying software solutions for business needs.
- Ensure that all software developed within your team satisfies the business requirements as specified.
- Ensure that projects are accurately estimated and delivered to schedule
- Actively contribute to the process of continual improvement, with regard to self, team, processes and systems
- Lead a team of software engineers in the creation of high quality software within agreed project deadlines.
- Assume a high level of ownership of all work developed by members of the team.
- Work closely with test engineers to ensure software deliverables are of the highest quality
- Proactively report and manage upwards to management and the business, so that they are well informed of the work currently in development.
- Train and integrate new team members and proactively support the continued development of existing team members
- Inspire and motivate team members
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology or similar technical degree
- Minimum 8 years relevant experience as a Software Developer
- Minimum 3-5 years experience as a Lead Developer or Team Lead
- Proven track record of developing high quality software to business specification while understanding processes and requirements
- Expert-level proficiency in at least one language (preferably Java, C#)
- Experience in backend software development using mainstream technologies such as Java, Node.js, Python
- Experience building REST APIs and using messaging services
- Experience with both traditional relational databases as well NoSQL databases
- Fundamental knowledge of object-oriented design, data structures, algorithms, and design patterns
- Strong understanding of Agile practices and processes (Scrum)
- Effective and efficient logical thinking and problem solving skills
- Possess the ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently with minimal direction
- Strong interpersonal and communications skills both verbal and written
Bonus QualificationsExperience with cloud development (Microsoft Azure or AWS) Experience with machine learning or Data Engineering Experience with big data