8 - 10 years experience • Misc. Healthcare
This position has overall accountability for providing leadership, direction, and administration of financial activities, including accounting, financial systems and control, compliance, financial analysis, budgeting, and reporting at assigned facility or campus, while maintaining a high level of visibility at the facility, region and system levels. Oversees financial decision-making and serves as a financial and strategic thought partner to the facility CEO. Develops a culture of financial awareness and accountability while ensuring the efficient utilization of resources and appropriate decision making for strategic growth and technological investment in order to maximize operating margin and return on investments. Ensures the realization of quality and economical health care services within established facility and system guidelines and philosophies. This position is responsible for driving, supporting and modeling a service-oriented culture focused on employee engagement, quality, patient safety, service excellence, fiscal responsibility, and the overall patient experience. Serves as a member of the executive leadership team at the facility and system levels, building and supporting effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external constituents and stakeholders and ensuring optimal operating effectiveness and strategic positioning.
- Provides leadership in the achievement of financial and operational performance objectives and expectations including revenue growth, operational margin targets, effective expense management and overall efficiency measures. This includes the use of analytical processes to assure the achievement of initiatives and the implementation of performance improvement opportunities in the areas of operational performance, clinical excellence, patient satisfaction and employee engagement.
- Provides leadership in evaluation and assessment of growth and operational initiatives as well as the evaluation, development and implementation of strategic programs and service lines, capital acquisition (including campus planning and future expansion) and technological investment. This includes the evaluation and assessment on future facility operations to ensure strong financial and operating outcomes.
- Supports the achievement of performance goals, defining accountabilities and providing advancement opportunities for future leaders. This includes the role of mentor for finance staff as well as increasing financial understanding throughout the facility in order to provide a framework for sound business decisions.
- Provides leadership, supervision, guidance and development for staff, articulating and demonstrating an expectation for continuous quality improvement, as well as continually supporting and exhibiting company values and service standards. Identifies and provides growth opportunities for staff.
- Strategizes and drives process improvements focused on innovative care delivery and/or operational models designed to improve clinical services, outcomes, patient throughput, and patient safety. Promotes a patient-centered, healing environment. Promotes the use and implementation of technology in the workplace in order to streamline operations, facilitate communications, and optimize work processes.
- Serves as the lead for the facility and its executive leadership team in assisting the Ethics & Compliance Department oversee and manage Banners Compliance Program and enforce Banners compliance policies which include, but are not limited to: serving as a compliance liaison in receiving, investigating, and addressing compliance questions and concerns; ensuring that Banners compliance policies and procedures are followed; assisting with compliance investigations, audits, and monitoring activities; coordinating and overseeing compliance training and the distribution of compliance policies; and, ensuring that there is no retaliation for good faith reporting of compliance questions or concerns.
- Ensures and fosters a high level of collaboration within a highly matrixed team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Champions, models, and promotes service excellence philosophies and behaviors at the facility, regional, and system levels to enhance the overall patient experience.
- Functions as an integral member of facility/campus operations and system leadership teams, serving in an advisory capacity to applicable staff. In collaboration with leadership team members, directs and provides oversight regarding the strategic development, implementation, and maintenance of strong, comprehensive clinical and/or operational services and programs that meet system-wide organizational growth initiatives and the needs of patient populations in the community. Fosters the development and implementation of workforce initiatives effectively. Leads and influences change at the facility, regional, and system levels.
Strong knowledge and understanding of business and financial healthcare as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or related discipline. Must possess a strong knowledge and understanding of financial operations as normally demonstrated through a minimum of seven to ten years of progressively responsible financial leadership experience. Must also possess three years experience in a hospital or multi-physician practice environment at a management level.
Proven track record developing and motivating managers and staff to achieve strategic objectives and maintain accountability. Experience gaining credibility and partnering effectively with medical staff to achieve desired facility-specific and organizational outcomes. Proven experience and track record of success in leading profitable financial operations for a large, complex enterprise. Proven track record of achieving cost savings in a decisive, yet collaborative and professional manner. Proven track record of building strong, technically sound finance functions. Knowledge and thorough understanding of insurance and managed care contracting principles and practices. In-depth knowledge of accounting principles, budgeting, cost accounting and reimbursement. Skilled in strategically and proactively creating and managing financial solutions resulting in organizational growth and success; coaching and developing direct reports that results in enhanced performance outcomes; quickly assessing and assimilating organizational and industry financial dynamics and making appropriate decisions related to new initiatives; constructing new and innovative solutions to meet changing organizational strategies and goals; establishing, pursuing, and monitoring appropriate process and outcome measures for key initiatives utilizing a systems perspective; analyzing a variety of complex financial and statistical data; anticipating and meeting the needs of internal and external customers; building strong, trusting relationships at all levels within the organization and across the System. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential.
Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
Master's Degree and prior experience working as a CFO in an integrated delivery system or medical center preferred.Experience working in all financial disciplines, including but not limited to, financial analysis, treasury, and accounting. CHC-Certified in Healthcare Compliance
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.